Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Math

I hope I am gaining a following here, and not just talking to cyberspace! Hehe, just kidding, I am doing this to log my efforts to one day pass down to my daughters to teach their children. I just hope Blogger is still up and running 20+ years from now, otherwise that would be bad....

Anyways, on to math! For math we use workbooks. I know a lot of homeschoolers hate the "sit down and do workbook pages" method, but here me out :).

Each week for math we have workbook pages AND hands on, visual learning for math. We love workbook pages, because it teaches our children self control, quiet time, and sitting still time. But we also love hands on learning, because it reiterates the concept in a different way, which will matter for some children and not for others. Since we currently do not know our children's learning curves, our curriculum includes all the senses of learning so we can evaluate our children's learning abilities for the teaching in the years to come.

I choose math readiness books from the dollar store and Walmart that include the following concepts:
Numbers
Shapes
Same/Different
Sequencing
Patterns

The hands on things we do:
A million types of counters to count things
Number pies
Pattern picture cards with manipulatives
Puzzles


For DIY Montessori Math Materials, this is my favorite post over at :The My Little List Blog


No comments:

Post a Comment